November 23, 2016
It was one for the ages.
I was moved to tears and cheers. Connie and I kept looking at each other and just smiled, hearing a voice from our second homeland. The thousands in attendance gave a standing ovation at the end.
Oscar Muriu, senior pastor of Nairobi Chapel, spoke at ICOM in Lexington on Friday night and painted a picture of the global church from 1 Corinthians 12. “The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ.” (v 12) Often looked at in context of the local church, we heard of different regions of the world that contribute to the worldwide body of Christ.
- The African church shows us joy in the midst of poverty.
- The European church is rich in Christian heritage.
- The Chinese church shows us how to live out Christ under persecution.
- The Indian church stays true to Christ in the face of martyrdom.
- The American church brings resources, technology and problem-solving abilities.
- The Japanese church, small in number, is honored and protected with God’s eye especially on them. The smallest are the most precious.
- The Latino church brings us dance, including Brazil and the salsa!
Oscar also challenged us to think of missions in terms of sending AND receiving. Yes, please keep sending missionaries to other parts of the world. But also RECEIVE missionaries from other parts of the world to your country. Look at the things we can learn from them! This has really caused me to think. How can we be part of the receiving, to work alongside others to bring Christ to our country which is the fifth most unchurched nation in the world? How might they make us all more effective witnesses in our own backyard?
Watch Oscar’s message in the video above–Oscar begins at minute 50. Other messages from the conference are available here.
The 23 nations already represented by Connection Pointe members make us a richer place as noted above. I love this about our church. Yet there is so much more we could experience as we become humble receivers.
YOU ARE INVITED!
Our partners in Kenya, Giles and Alison Emery, will be with us on Thursday, Dec 15 at 6:30 pm in Room B102.
You are invited to join us for dinner and to hear their stories of serving in the slums of Nairobi. To help us plan for dinner, please RSVP to Teresa by Dec 6.
Til next week,