Our CPCC Kenya team in Mathare Valley had no idea that a simple eight-inch cord with five knots would become such a useful tool for the Madoya school. That’s exactly what happened as three of the team members led workshops for the elementary teachers at the school.
Training the teachers is part of the CPCC partnership with Madoya school. The team took library books correlated to each grade level and showed short video clips by two CPCC teachers who demonstrated how to use the five knots on the cord to guide students as they re-tell (summarize) the library book stories.
When the Madoya teachers used the five-knot cords with their students, the results were amazing! The excitement of both teachers and students as they used the cords made it clear that our brief time with them further strengthened the partnership between CPCC and Madoya school.
- A Madoya school teacher from Missions of Hope International (MOHI) in Nairobi, Kenya receives a certificate of completion presented by the CPCC short-term mission team following a workshop on reading comprehension.
- Alison Emery, CMF missionary with Missions of Hope International and CPCC partner in Kenya, observes a Madoya school teacher reading a primary-level book to her class as part of developing story comprehension.
- Anita Dyck presents a gift packet from a CPCC family to a Madoya student sponsored by them.
- Kelsey Stuckwisch, CPCC team member, observes a class after leading a workshop on reading comprehension with Madoya school teachers. CPCC families sponsor many students at MOHI’s Madoya school.
- Don Dyck, CPCC team leader, accepts a poster containing “thank-you” messages from Madoya school teachers and staff at the conclusion of a reading comprehension workshop presented by our CPCC short-term missions team.
- Madoya school teachers receive a map showing a connection between Nairobi, Kenya, and Brownsburg to commemorate CPCC’s partnership with the MOHI school. The map included the text of Ephesians 1:16 reminding the teachers of the constant prayers for them by the CPCC short-term team.
- Giles Emery, CMF missionary with Missions of Hope International and CPCC partner in Kenya, discusses various aspects of reading comprehension with Madoya school teachers during a workshop for the teachers by the CPCC short-term team.